- RSS Channel Showcase 7224356
- RSS Channel Showcase 1424137
- RSS Channel Showcase 4321812
- RSS Channel Showcase 1024741
Articles on this Page
- 02/09/16--12:15: _Kickass Copy Strate...
- 03/01/16--09:53: _How to Curse in Eng...
- 03/02/16--09:53: _That Time I Got Int...
- 03/03/16--09:57: _Some Babies Are Ugly
- 03/05/16--09:58: _How to Lose Prospec...
- 03/08/16--10:01: _How to Add Value Wi...
- 03/10/16--10:02: _If You Give A Prosp...
- 03/15/16--11:04: _A Check-Up for Your...
- 03/17/16--11:06: _No-No Words…
- 03/22/16--11:07: _You Use a Blue Butt...
- 09/11/15--12:25: _An “Unsubscribe” Le...
- 01/19/16--12:46: _Why Your Prospects ...
- 01/30/16--09:43: _Made You Click! Sub...
- 02/09/16--12:15: Kickass Copy Strategy: Onboard Like Martha
- 03/01/16--09:53: How to Curse in English
- 03/02/16--09:53: That Time I Got Into an eBay Fight…
- 03/03/16--09:57: Some Babies Are Ugly
- 03/05/16--09:58: How to Lose Prospects and Repel People
- 03/08/16--10:01: How to Add Value With A Moldy Petri Dish
- 03/10/16--10:02: If You Give A Prospect a Cheese Cube…
- 03/15/16--11:04: A Check-Up for Your About Page
- 03/17/16--11:06: No-No Words…
- 03/22/16--11:07: You Use a Blue Button, the Sales End…
- 09/11/15--12:25: An “Unsubscribe” Lesson from Total Bastard Airlines
- 01/19/16--12:46: Why Your Prospects Think You’re Full of It
- 01/30/16--09:43: Made You Click! Subject Lines Worth Swiping
“What would Martha do?” That’s what I ask myself whenever I invite people over. (I’m talking about Martha Stewart, btw.) See, I imagine that when Martha has people over, she greets her guests with a seasonally appropriate drink. She invites them to have a light (homemade, locally-sourced) snack. And then she gives them a tour […]
My mom is bilingual, and there’s this story she loves about a Spanish-speaker who wants to learn how to curse in English. So it goes like this: The guy meets this group of Americans, and they agree to teach him some “colorful” vocabulary. Only something is getting lost in translation. He keeps saying stuff like, […]
The story contains a valuable sales copy lesson, though, so all was not lost. So, there I was, on eBay. And I found the holy grail: My beloved discontinued jeans in my exact size, in my favorite wash, basically brand new. Only $23? Shut the front door–sold! But when they arrived, I could barely get […]
You gasp, but it’s true. Now, I’m talking about product babies, of course. Your business baby. Because a lot of times, there’s something wrong with them. Something customers complain about… Or something that repels prospects. You can try to slap an oversized bow on it and insist it’s perfect… But your customers aren’t idiots. And […]
I couldn’t look away. I knew what was coming. I’ve seen it happen before. Someone in a Facebook group was about to go down, down, down, in a burning ring of fire. Let’s call him Craig. Here’s where Craig went wrong: Craig had been a member of this copywriting group for a short time… And […]
It was a petri dish of funk. I’d left it out in my living room, just like the directions said. Closed it, sealed it, and waited. Two days later, there was mold growing in it. Ew. So much ew. That was floating around in the air in my HOUSE? I’m clean freak, dammit! This isn’t […]
Real value. That’s what I’ve been talking about this week. Last week I told you about Craig, who claimed to add value… But was really just pitching himself over and over. And yesterday I told you about an air purifier company that actually DID add value… By showing prospects the airborne allergens in their homes. So…how […]
Your About Page is kinda like a biannual dental cleaning. Hmmm…let’s unpack that. 🙂 See, I had my teeth cleaned earlier this week, like a responsible adult person. And like all dentists, he’s making small talk…. While my mouth is full of electric toothbrush and floss and probably a monkey wrench, just to see if […]
“Are there words you HATE to see in sales copy?” That’s what someone asked me last month, at a lunch-and-learn kind of event. My answer? Yes, of course! The so-called word “impactful” makes me cringe… The word “hustle” and the phrase “crush it” both get on my nerves… And literally no one seems to understand […]
Opt-in buttons: Blue or red? Or aquamarine? Maybe eggshell white? Do I put the button above the VSL or below? WHICH WILL CONVERT BEST?! As Neo would say, “Whoa!” Let’s back up… What if I told you that there’s certainly a place for split-testing… IF your offer, your big promise, is really dialed in? And […]
Some marketers freak out if they get too many unsubscribes. And some will even follow up with each and every person who leaves their list… I guess to beg them to come back? It seems kinda obnoxious. And bad for business, too. Because really, you should welcome unsubscribes. In fact, do you remember the Total Bastard Airlines skit from […]
Check out my latest post, over at Copy Chief! In the article, you’ll discover: Why your copy raises red flags, even if you’re being 100% honest and selling a proven product… How to use the “Yeah, Right” test to find those red flags in your sales materials… How to replace those red flags with the right […]
Like a lot of copywriters, I keep a swipe file for inspiration. However, instead of keeping it to myself, I thought I’d share the subject lines I’ve been swiping lately. Basically, if a subject line stands out amongst the 100 emails I wake up to, and makes me actually click, I save it in a […]